Batman Adventures #3

I saw part of this page posted on tumblr earlier today

and after I once again managed to (sorta) get over the utter brilliance of the great Ty Templeton, it reminded me of how that second panel came about, and how it's a small example of just how fantastic and different a writer Kelley Puckett is.

After the page was drawn, I sent it to Kelley and said I thought he should add dialogue to the hitherto silent second panel; he could just continue the song from the first panel. Easy-peasy!

Instead, Kelley has the Joker continue to sing the song for a bit, and then start to mumble words to fit the melody. Because he can't remember the words.

I remember the two of us laughing because who on earth is over the age of 5 and doesn't know the words to "I've Been Working on the Railroad"? Especially since it's just a repetition of the title!

On one level, it's simply really funny. On another, it illustrates just how very different from anyone else the Joker. And the fact that the nonsense syllable the Joker uses to fill time is the same as the Batman theme song is just an added bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment